Thursday, January 3, 2008

Hi. My name's Yee

and I'm a glassaholic. Yup. I have an illness that compels me to buy glass (rods that is!) even when I already have tons of stuff sitting around that hasn't yet been melted.

Actually, I think I'm actually getting better. I've sold of most of my stash and have been really good about holding off buying (much of) anything new. I just sold of my entire stock of Bullseye glass (minus odd lots) and am now down to 3 types of glass only. Oh....don't get me wrong. It's not like I haven't been tempted. All the talk of new odd-lots coming from Vetrofond. Even the borosilicate glass manufacturers are getting into the odd-lot phenomenon. True to our natures as addicts all of us crazy lampworkers buy, buy and BUY!!!!

But it isn't limited to glass. I think I'm just addicted to colorful things. Back when I was sewing it was fabric. You wouldn't believe how much fabric I had accumulated when I finally decided to go through and liquidate it.

In a funny way I do think it is somewhat of a compulsion and the compulsion, whatever it is, lurks inside each and every one of us. We all have our vices. The question is whether we have those under control. I think for now I've curbed the glass monster but there's no telling how long that will last. Besides, how can you say no to pretty, colorful stuff when it allows you to make this:

No comments: