Sunday, October 10, 2010

Flu shot....should you or shouldn't you?

I never used to get the flu shot.  Up until last year I had never gotten the flu shot.  That is.....until I worked with my first patient who had H1N1 who was deathly ill.  This was a young, previously healthy individual with no significant medical history who, all of a sudden, was struck down by this crazy flu strain.  It didn't take much to convince me to get the flu shot after that.  Last year it seemed like everywhere I looked someone was really, really sick after getting H1N1. Mind you, I do work in a critical care setting so it would be normal for me to see really sick people but the number of illnesses attributed to the flu were distinctly out of proportion compared to the norm.

So, this year, the minute flu shots were offered I got mine.  That was 4 days ago.  I am officially sick.  I guess it's a small price to pay to protect against possible greater illness but this really sucks. My sinuses are clogged. My eardrums feel like they're about to burst and I'm sure my patients will be thrilled that I'm coughing and hacking all over them at work tomorrow.

Nevermind that this week is the one week where I'm scheduled to work 5 days in a row and that my mother is arriving next Saturday and I have no energy to do anything other than veg in front of my computer and blog about how yucky I feel.

It's going to be a splendid week.  Yeah.

1 comment:

Lori P said...

I'm a little late commenting, but I hope you've had time to feel tons better. I have always gotten the flu shot and always wonder if there's any use. I have a chonically ill kiddo who can't take the shot and feel that I need it myself so that I can't pass anything along to her. Did that even make sense??? lol

Oh, and THANK YOU for your name suggestion! As you can see, we all loved it. (I played it safe though and bought both urls for waterstone originals and studio waterstone - wimp, right?)